Wednesday, March 26, 2008

This Blog Receives a Legal Threat


I recently received an email threatening me with legal action if I don't remove a short video clip from the Watchtower Comments series of videos. The email claimed that the clip was copyrighted. This is strange because I have nothing to do with the production of those videos. They are hosted on Youtube and I only embedded them on this site.


I learned later that the clip in question was only three seconds long. That sounds like fair use to me. If that isn't fair use, then what is? Well, the videos are now gone. I don't know if Youtube removed them or if they were removed by the producer. I hope they will be replaced soon with edited versions. I will try to embed the new videos soon after they are available. I will place them on the same blog pages as the old videos.


I hope to discuss this situation more thoroughly when I have more information. In the meantime you can check out these ongoing discussion about this issue.


"Knocking" Legal Action Against Watchtower Comments

Some of My Thoughts About Knocking's Legal Threats

Emailed Legal Threats

How to get Watchtower Comments videos back up (with Knocking section)


The three second clip in question comes from the "Knocking" documentary, a film that has caused a great deal of controversy. Here are some links.

Jehovah's Witnesses PBS Film KNOCKING Omits the Facts

KNOCKING: A New Pro-JW Documentary

Knocking on Jehovah's Witnesses


Update 4/1/08: The Watchtower Comments videos are back. See this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who are Jehovah's Witnesses?

No tolerance.
They will extol and preach "God's Kingdom" and this sounds attractive,what they hide from you is their Watchtower cult version that Jesus has already had his second coming in 1914 and is working "invisibly" through them,and all other religions are of satan.

The 'religion' of Jehovah's Witnesses is a dangerous cult that controls every aspect of its members' lives.
Are they knocking on your door?
----
Danny Haszard life long JW